Grandparent's rights and guardianships

     Sometimes, parents are unable or unwilling to care for their children.  This is unfortunate, but we relish the opportunity to work with those relatives who step up to the plate willing to take on the responsibility.  There are many ways that the child custody lawyers of Quinde & Associates can help accomplish this including, but not limited to, temporary letters of guardianship, grandparent visitation or custody, private deprivation petitions, and third party custody petitions.

     If you have found yourself in this honorable position, please call us and schedule your free in office consultation today.  The attorneys at Quinde & Associates will evaluate your case and help choose the legal strategy that best fits your needs.

Best interests standard

Custody decisions in Georgia are made by the court using the "best interests" standard.  In other words, custody decisions are determined by considering how a proposed custody arrangement will serve the best interests of the children.  The Official Code of Georgia Annotated 19-9-3 lists the following relevant factors that a court may consider in determining the best interests of the child:

(A) The love, affection, bonding, and emotional ties existing between each parent and the child;

(B) The love, affection, bonding, and emotional ties existing between the child and his or her siblings, half siblings, and stepsiblings and the residence of such other children;

(C) The capacity and disposition of each parent to give the child love, affection, and guidance and to continue the education and rearing of the child;

(D) Each parent's knowledge and familiarity of the child and the child's needs;

(E) The capacity and disposition of each parent to provide the child with food, clothing, medical care, day-to-day needs, and other necessary basic care, with consideration made for the potential payment of child support by the other parent;

(F) The home environment of each parent considering the promotion of nurturance and safety of the child rather than superficial or material factors;

(G) The importance of continuity in the child's life and the length of time the child has lived in a stable, satisfactory environment and the desirability of maintaining continuity;

(H) The stability of the family unit of each of the parents and the presence or absence of each parent's support systems within the community to benefit the child;

(I) The mental and physical health of each parent;

(J) Each parent's involvement, or lack thereof, in the child's educational, social, and extracurricular activities;

(K) Each parent's employment schedule and the related flexibility or limitations, if any, of a parent to care for the child;

(L) The home, school, and community record and history of the child, as well as any health or educational special needs of the child;

(M) Each parent's past performance and relative abilities for future performance of parenting responsibilities;

(N) The willingness and ability of each of the parents to facilitate and encourage a close and continuing parent-child relationship between the child and the other parent, consistent with the best interest of the child;

(O) Any recommendation by a court appointed custody evaluator or guardian ad litem;

(P) Any evidence of family violence or sexual, mental, or physical child abuse or criminal history of either parent; and

(Q) Any evidence of substance abuse by either parent.


Call now!  678-404-7104


While the law in Georgia states that when a child born is born out of wedlock the mother has sole custody of the child (unless the father has successfully legitimated the child and was granted custodial rights) sometimes, an unwed mother has a need for an order stating that she has sole custody.

Our lawyers typically see this when Mothers in Georgia wish to apply for a passport for their children.  In order for an unwed Mother to apply for a passport for her child in Georgia, a mother will either need the Father to also appear and consent, or sign a consent form in the presence of a notary, or present a valid court order indicating that she may obtain the passport without the father, or finally, present a court order that grants her sole custody.

If you have been trying to get a passport for your child and have been unsuccessful, please call one of our lawyers today!  We have been successful in helping unmarried mother obtain passports for their children in many, many cases!

Child custody 

      At Quinde & Associates, our Gwinnett County child custody lawyers know that your children are the most important thing in your life.  Whether you're facing the issue of custody for the first time in a divorce, or you're looking to modify custody, we can help.

     At Quinde & Associates, we assist our clients in securing both legal custody and physical custody of their children.  Legal custody means that a parent has the right to make important decisions for their children.  Physical custody dictates where the child will live and how they will spend time with both parents. The Court will look to the best interests of the child to determine physical custody.


Visitation and parenting time

     In order to fully take advantage of your time with your children, you will need a workable and polished "permanent parenting plan."  In Georgia, a permanent parenting plan is required in all custody cases involving children.  The attorneys of Quinde & Associates are parents too, and therefore, we are in an excellent position to help you create a flexible and workable plan based on your unique situation and family.  We strive to create parenting plans for our clients that elicit cooperation from the other parent and help avoid conflict in the future.

Gwinnett County, Child Custody Lawyers

Contact us today

We serve clients in Gwinnett County, GA and surrounding areas.  

Call now!  678-404-7104

 Or, contact us by email to schedule a free in office consultation with one of our experienced Suwanee child custody lawyers today.

Child Custody Lawyers in Gwinnett County, GA and Surrounding Areas

modification of custody

     There are many reasons why a custody arrangement should be modified.  However, there is a legal standard that must be met in order to file for a modification: "a significant change in circumstances."  If you are thinking about pursuing a modification of child custody, the burden is on you to prove that  there has been a significant change in circumstances.  The attorneys at Quinde & Associates will discuss this with you in your free in office consultation and will help analyze and evaluate your case.

     Some examples of a significant change of circumstances may include:

  • one parent has moved a great distance away 
  • one parent has become dependent on drugs or alcohol
  • there are allegations of abuse
  • a child eleven years old or older elects to live with the other parent

    This is by no means a complete list.  Call the Suwanee child custody lawyers of Quinde & Associates today to set up your free in office consultation and we will go over your unique situation with you.

CALL NOW: 678-404-7104

Fax No: 770-857-3430

Email us:

3725 Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road

Suite A5

Suwanee, GA 30024